Thursday, August 26, 2004

My Soul to the Mountain...

Have mercy on me, my Soul.
You have shown me Fortune beyond my grasp.
You and Fortune abide on the mountain top;
Misery and I are abandoned together in the pit of the valley.
Will e'er the mountain and the valley unite?
-Kahlil Gibran
There is a mountain near my hometown. A foothill compared to the leviathans to the West, but a mountain nonetheless. On the summit is a granite formation that thrusts out like the prow of a ship. At the edge it's broken at an almost perfect 90 degree angle, and approximates a chair. I named it Hlidskjalf for Odin's High Throne. In Norse mythology, Odin would go to his High Throne to see the Nine Worlds and all that transpired there. In my younger days, I would go there and peer out at my world. My hometown, and the great Shining City beyond.

I went there the day of The Funeral. I hiked up to the summit to Hlidskjalf; to sit and ponder the meaning of it all. Looking out at the World...it seemed smaller somehow. I listened to "The Grey Havens" on my player.

This was my mountain, but for a brief time it was our mountain too. Time means very little to this place, it hasn't changed much over the years.

But there, right there! I kissed her for the first time, so many years ago.

Like lightning, so bright and powerful...but fleeting.

The whispering wind through the pines gave me little comfort.

She's gone now.

Into the West.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thousand Sons said...

(((RW)))

We all have mountains to climb.

Real or spiritual, they loom before us all.

And many rivers to cross...

8/27/2004 10:56 AM  
Blogger Thousand Sons said...

"Melancholy Fridays should be declared illegal and shot on the spot."

Tell me why
I Dont't like Fridays
I want to shoot ooh ooh oooh
The whole day down...

(Apologies to the Boomtown Rats...)

8/27/2004 7:23 PM  
Blogger Thousand Sons said...

Anytime. Any of my friends can smoke here.

"Farewell now my sister
Up ahead there lies your road
And your conscience walks beside you
It's the best friend you will ever know
And the past is now your future
It bears witness to your soul
Make sure that the love you offer up
Does not fall on barren soil.

But I'm not bitter no I'm surviving
To face the world, to raise the future.
So why don't you tell me, come on and tell me
About the world you left behind.
Come on and tell me."

-Dead Can Dance

8/28/2004 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home