Tuesday, August 23, 2005

That ol' familiar blues...

"The blues get under your skin and choke you up something fierce, eh?"
-Floranista

Oh my yes.

I've loved the blues for a long time.

About Otis Rush: He's a Chicago blues man, but born in Mississippi and influenced by the Delta blues. The version of 'Double Trouble' I have is a cover by The Paul Butterfield Blues Band.
I should also note that the quote about the blues from my previous post comes from legendary blues man Leon Redbone's 'That Old Familiar Blues'. I've been listening to his album 'Up A Lazy River' a lot lately.

I missed an opportunity to see Stevie Ray Vaughn in 1990, a month before he passed away. I found out about his passing literally minutes after my then girlfriend dumped me. She spelled out in great detail why we couldn't stay together, that we would always be friends, etc. It was exhausting, but hey, I couldn't argue. She was right.

When I hung up the phone, I turned on the radio.
I heard three SRV songs back to back.
I felt better...until they said "Stevie Ray Vaughn. 1954-1990."

And, baby, if that ain't the blues then I don't know what is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home