Thursday, November 05, 2009

One Step At A Time

One Step At A Time by Queen Marie of Romania, 1926

Once I had a very dear friend who gave me wise advice. When things piled upon me and I had moments of doubt and discouragement, he always used to say: "One step at a time, my Queen - no man can take more than one step at a time."

If in our hours of distress we keep this thought before us it soothes things marvelously. Never matter how complicated our business seems at the moment one can always take a single step. It is the thought of the duties en masse that appall one! But, take the first step, and the next is easier, and the next, and so on until the thing is cleared up and out of the way.

We walk the apparently endless road - one step at a time. We build the great house - one brick upon another. We break the bundle of sticks - one by one.

Once I myself was facing what seemed an insurmountable difficulty - one of those destructive, life-sapping, courage-killing troubles. Each breath I drew was suffocating as I stood with clenched hands, wondering where was the way out...then came the kind old voice whispering, "One step at a time, my Queen, no man can do more." And I hung on and put out my foot and took my one step, blindly, gropingly, with gritted teeth and ears shut to all discouraging voices. Despair melted and courage came, I went on, desperately, knowing I alone could carry my own cross - step by step, slowly, till I found firmer ground. I never gave up and won through. During my struggle my sky seemed very dark - no sun, no stars, but something kept me pushing on, one step by one step, uphill in a lightless night. But it was so worthwhile. I reached the top and I saw the light.

It is the will to succeed and the beating of problems, one by one, that finally get you there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home