Friday, January 14, 2005

Lost and Found

"I was made to love magic
All it’s wonder to know
But you all lost that magic
Many many years ago."
-Nick Drake

I lost something very precious to me.
An old cork bulletin board I'd had since I was a kid.
In a way it was an extension of myself.
I had years of memories, mementos, and trinkets from a bygone age on it.

I've been living out of boxes the last couple of weeks. Finally I'm at the point where I wanted decorate and wanted to hang it up. But a quick search of the house turned up nothing. Where could it be?? Its too big to fit in a box, there's no way you could just miss it. Then the horrible truth dawned on me. In the flurry and mayhem of the whole moving process I must have left it on the rental truck.

Frantically, I called the rental place today:
"I think I left something in one of your trucks."
"What was it, we have a couple of things here. A wallet? A purse?"
"No, a bulletin board with pictures and stuff on it."
"Oh no. We dont keep any of that junk here if we find it. We throw it away."
"You...throw it away?!"
"Yeah, what do you expect? We aren't a lost and found you know!"

Years of personal history.
Postcards from those who are gone.
Irreplaceable keepsakes.
Talismans of power that once defined my very being...

Thrown away.

Like garbage.

And no one to blame...but myself.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Thousands Sons, just me again; yeah we'll have to get monkeyweather over here, she is awesome! Thank you for sharing the history of "Cloistered", I can understand why she took the picture as it is a beautiful poem. Maybe not just a coincidence at the service but her reaching out to comfort you. This is just my belief.

We moved 4 years ago (just 5 miles) and the month between closing our old place and getting into the new house we stored stuff at a friends shop. Everything was packed in boxes. There is one box that never made it here and although I don't even know what all was in there I sure am missing the casters to my roll-top desk chair! Now I'm not comparing that with your bulletin board; when talking about fire drill routine we would get our pets out first and photo albums out next so I know what a loss it must be. But unless you are REALLY organized you may still find it, don't give up hope! Looking forward to reading more, I just finished October. Hope it turns up...
floranista

1/14/2005 3:35 PM  
Blogger Thousand Sons said...

Thanks Flori!

As you can see in the next entry I did finally find it. I cant begin to tell you how crushed I was when I thought it was gone, or how elated I was that it turned up! This is why I hate moving.

I think you're right about the photo. How odd that sometimes we do things preparing for a future we dont know about yet. Like some kind of unconsious precognition. The night that she passed a star fell and it lit up the sky around her parents house. I'm not kidding. So I have no trouble believing that she could pull this off. Heh. That would be just like her too... ;-)

1/15/2005 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home