Sunday, March 13, 2005

Astronomy Domine

Time for your amateur astronomy lesson for the week, dear children.

That groovy galaxy I've come to be associated with is none other than M101, also known as the Pinwheel Galaxy. It's a very large spiral galaxy, twice as wide as the Milky Way. Its a relatively close at about 22 million light years away. It resides in the constellation of Ursa Major or the Big Dipper.

I have a personal affinity for the Big Dipper. It's the first constellation I ever learned. I loved the stars even as a kid, but didn't know from constellations. I remember my grandfather taking me outside one summer night. "Here's an easy one to find," he said. "Look up there, over the trees. See those stars? Thats the Big Dipper. Over there, those stars that look like a big 'W'? Thats Cassiopeia..."

Since then, I've learned lots of constellations. But I always come back to the Big Dipper, my first constellation. Where my galaxy and my heart call home...out amongst the stars.



Atlas Image courtesy of 2MASS/UMass/IPAC-Caltech/NASA/NSF. Posted by Hello

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that the pinwheel galaxy Thousand Sons? I love the big dipper too; we have some great clear nights here in Wa, huh? I wish I knew more though. Thanks for the nice post.
\floranista

3/20/2005 11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd say this but I'm taking a break from reading all blogs for a while.

I think I might be joining you TS.

Are you planning on keeping this blog running?

3/26/2005 4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TS....Yeah, can I come over here for awhile? I'm a little singed and smokey, but you won't mind, will you? Let's make dinner and sit around and talk profound and silly. Oh by the way, you get to cook....it's only fair since it's your house. I'll bring the alcohol. ILYHAND

3/26/2005 5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I still come hang out too? I am really, officially done with that flamewar and promise not to bring it here.

My only question is, where are the globular clusters?

3/26/2005 6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jheka, LOL.

The flame out was not fun to watch from the sidelines.

3/26/2005 6:48 PM  
Blogger Thousand Sons said...

"Are you planning on keeping this blog running?"

Absolutely. I'm just taking a break from the flame wars for a while. Everyone is welcome to relax here too, if they want! :)

3/27/2005 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIP Ford and Jheka...you two still trolling at DU? How did that go? Was it fun? Did anyone call you a Joooooooooo? Huh?

1/13/2006 5:36 AM  
Blogger Thousand Sons said...

Oooh, what a zinger! Unfortunately, you missed RIP and Jheka by, oh, about a year.

If you're looking for them, look on DL or LGF, they're not regulars here.

All are welcome here, but if post a snotty comment like that again its Deleteland for you.

Fairly warned, be ye, says I.

1/13/2006 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home